Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Its my turn.....

Hi HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!
Wow with CHA around the corner and all the sneak peaks appearing its really a scrap heaven at the moment. My mojo has been hiding but peaked out over christmas when my Urban lily box arrived.

Its my turn today to show you a little bit of art using Urban Lily. You have to admit Urban lily really do chipboard well. I know the girls all have some yumminess to show you later using big, small, die cut and plain chipboards but I started with the journaling cards.

This is a small hanger which is now in my kitchen.
Using the lime polka dot slider and some scraps of left over paper I was able to create this really quickly and with limited resources (being at my sisters in england with very few supplies!).
I began by sanding the edges of the journaling slider with a nail file, to give a vintage feel. I then took a large chipboard butterfly (Urban lily) and covered it with vintage music paper.



A tip for covering chipboard shapes:
1. cover the whole shape with glue and place a square of your chosen paper on top.
2. press firmly an allow to dry.
3. run around the edge of your shape with your nail, being careful not to rip your paper.
4. Using a paper nail file and downward strokes begin to work your way around the chipboard. Small to reach areas may be easier to sand with a small nail file, the sort used in jewellery making.
5. The edges will begin to gently fall away leaving a perfectly covered chipboard shape!

My butterfly is topped with a flower, also made from paper and really just folded petals layered on top of each other.
Using some vintage bobble trim and a piece of UL polka dot paper I layered my elements.

I pulled the slider open and attached a photograph of Samuel (you will get used to seeing him!)
And on the right hand side my title, which I also distressed.

The reverse of my slider was stamped with PULL and I added my journaling with a permanent fineliner.



Finally I added a vintage velvet ribbon to hang my piece and placed it on a vintage plastic hanger....yeah for the 1970's!!!



I hope you like my first project and you will come back for more :)

Have a great creative week!!
xxxxx

6 comments:

  1. wow, this is fantastic! love your idea to hang the finished project around, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great idea!!!! i'll have to try that :) love the butterfly. it looks so pretty!

    hugs,
    s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea - thanks for the tips on covering chipboard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's adorable...just like your little guy who is growing up so fast! Great job, Jo-Anne!

    ReplyDelete